At it’s most basic, pH stands for ‘Potential Hydrogen’ and is the measure of alkalinity in a solution. Any solution that measures 7 is considered neutral, above that is alkaline and below is considered acidic. This means that alkaline water is water with a pH above 7.
The human body contains both acids and bases. Our bodies maintain a blood pH level of 7.35 to 7.45, and pH is typically measured through urine. Testing a lower pH could be a sign of something called metabolic syndrome, which includes symptoms like:
- High Blood Pressure
- Insulin Resistance
- High Cholesterol
- Kidney Stones
What can you do about this? Well, drink alkaline water! One such study recently examined 52 men, and found that alkaline water raised blood pH in all of them, within the normal range for blood pH. Based on the results of this study, alkaline water shows a lot of promise as a way to treat metabolic acidosis.
What’s Up With ORP?
ORP is short for Oxidation Reduction Potential, or a solution’s ability and capacity to reduce oxidation. A positive ORP indicates an increase in oxidation (not good), and a negative ORP indicates the ability to combat oxidizers (very good)!
Hydrogen? You bet!
You can dissolve about 0.0007 mg/L hydrogen in water, any more hydrogen and it will form bubbles and then simply float away. Because of that, you need to drink your glass of hydrogen water quickly, and for best results you need a machine that fills your glass quickly. The longer you wait for your glass to fill, the more hydrogen ends up floating away.
Benefits of Alkaline water
While there is still a lack of proven scientific research, various proponents of alkaline water claim to believe in the following benefits of alkaline water:
- Alkaline water has ultra-hydrating properties as compared to normal water. This can be a beneficial drink for people who work out on a daily basis and require more amount of water in their body. Scientifically speaking, the water molecules in alkaline water are smaller and more readily absorbed by your cells, which help your body re-hydrate quickly.
- Alkaline water benefits also include boosting immunity. Your immune system may help neutralise the acidity in your body, which is caused by poor diet, stress and environmental toxins.
- Alkaline water is said to have various minerals like magnesium and calcium, both of which are important for maintaining healthy bones.
- Alkaline water has many potent antioxidants that help prevent the growth of cell damaging free radicals in the body, which can further rush up the ageing process.
- One of the most important benefits of alkaline water is that it neutralises the acidity in our body by lowering excessive acidic content in the stomach and gastro-intestinal tract.
- Alkaline Water Is A Powerful Antioxidant
- Alkaline Water Effectively Balances The pH Levels Of The Body
- Alkaline Water Promotes Better Hydration
- Alkaline Water Benefits – Detox the Body
- Boost The Immune System
- Alkaline Water Can Help You Lose Weight
- Alkaline Water Benefits – Helps Fight Cancer
- Alkaline Prevents The Development Of Diabetes
- Alkaline Water Can Help Cure Psoriasis